eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Watts New
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 pm 

Hi Brian,
What did you use to hinge the ailerons and flaps on these models and exactly how did you do it. Congratulations on producing such elegant models and on the success you have had with them.

Best regards, John Cuthbert.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 pm 

John-C wrote:

Hi Brian,
What did you use to hinge the ailerons and flaps on these models and exactly how did you do it. Congratulations on producing such elegant models and on the success you have had with them.

Best regards, John Cuthbert.

I used Clear Pro Film(Oracover) for hinging. The original model some 3 years old now, still has the original ones.

I fold the flaps/ailerons, back on themselves, and apply the film as normal, to the inner faces. Trim off excess level with the surfaces. Wet & dry 320 is good for this especially when the surface has been glassed. Then fold back to their working position and apply a strip of film approx 25mm wide centred over the hinge point.
Iron down onto the wing first then onto the aileron/flap surface, with the moving part held against the inside face.

In the case of the aileron which is top hinged, hold it down position. Do not use to much heat, as the film will shrink to far so as to stop full movement being attained. The flaps are bottom hinged, so reverse is the case.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:02 pm 

See this link to 2 flyers in Norway, who are/have built the model using a short kit from Greg Potter in Australia. The one shown in the video on page 3, has a film wing covering rather than all sheet as om my versions

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... tkit-build

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:28 pm 

My friend sends his regards Brian, he says he's very satisfied with the flying characteristics. It just glides and glides and glides, as he says in video nr three. He owns a 2,2kg Samba Pike Perfection F5J which is nice for the prevailing windy weather type we have in the South of Norway. But now with the Watt's New he has a nice F5J competition model that fills in the calm weather gap for him. And for maybe just a third of the cost of a composite model.

Attachments:
Watts New Norway.JPG
Watts New Norway.JPG [ 7.25 KB | Viewed 133 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 pm 

Video of the guy in Norway flying his version and throwing it about more than I have. Have to look a bit hard to see it !!!

https://youtu.be/FW4TcEl63So

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8