eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Height limitation exemption.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm 

As our 2020 comp season approaches, I thought that I should get together all the permissions and exemptions that might be needed to fly within the rules.. As the BMFA has managed my operator ID but my flyer ID is a little way off, there is a requirement for me to carry the necessary exemption documents (a PDF on my phone is fine).
I understood that there has been an exemption issued that allows flights at over 400ft. What exemption applies to our comp flights when not based at an aerodrome?

Dave.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Height limitation exemption.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:46 pm 

Hi Dave

Lots of quustions being asked about CAA sturff right now, my phone will run out of electrons soon>

The Pilot i.d. business is covered here on the BMFA web:-
https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... -D-numbers
To be clear, members with any form of BMFA Achievement including the Registration Competency Certificate (RCC) do not need a Flyer I.D.
(As far as I can tell, you may have a pilot i.d. IF you took the CAA test with them, not via the BMFA.)

For the 400foot exemption details, follow this link to the BMFA 'Law in Bitesize' page https://rcc.bmfa.uk/the-law-in-bitesize
click on a picture and work up to 'e-card 7' where you can read this and get to the actual CAA text via a further link at the bottom :-

The legal height limit for all unmanned aircraft is 400ft (120m) above the terrain.
However BMFA members have permission (an exemption from the CAA) to operate their aircraft (other than multi-rotors) which weigh less than 7Kg higher than 400ft. Visual line of sight must be maintained.

Hope this helps and that it is correct!!

Regards

Mike

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:17 pm 

Mike

A technicality in your reply.

The 400ft is not an ‘Exemption’ but is a ‘Permission’. Sort of comes to the same thing but there is a subtle legal difference.

And for clarification, hopefully!

Operator IDs are the registration of the person legally responsible for the model. This cost you £9 with the CAA, either directly or via the BMFA, and the number has to be on the model.

You only need to get involved in an Exemption from displaying a number if you have not yet received an Operator ID.

Flyer IDs are issued by the CAA for those who complete the CAA (not the BMFA) on line test.

There is an Exemption, that allows BMFA ratings, including the RCC (Registration Competency Certificate) to be accepted as Acknowledgement of Competency. No Flyer ID is issued for this. You need to carry your BMFA membership document showing your rating, together with a copy of the Exemption, for the benefit of PC Plod should he ask.

All pilots doing the actual flying are required to have either a Flyer ID or the BMFA stuff.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Paul Newell on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the pointer to the document that details this permission.... so no exemption cert needed for this as permission is granted for some classes of model aircraft.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:08 pm 

Thanks Paul

Well done for not mentioning that this can all change in July when some kind of Europe-wide agreement is supposed to take over; or is it June? I presume that is why the CAA exroted us not to buy permanent numbers, or maybe they have shares in Able Lables?

At least the summer weather surely can't be as bad as the Winter/Spring stuff has, can it????

Mike

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 pm 

Yes, 1 July is another magic date.

We have to trust the BMFA to keep close to the CAA and get the officialdom tidied up in a timely manner.

The guidance on non permanent labelling of numbers seems to result from an international format being expected for the future but this has yet to be defined.

Profile Email