eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Watts New
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 pm 

Hi Brian,
What did you use to hinge the ailerons and flaps on these models and exactly how did you do it. Congratulations on producing such elegant models and on the success you have had with them.

Best regards, John Cuthbert.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 pm 

John-C wrote:

Hi Brian,
What did you use to hinge the ailerons and flaps on these models and exactly how did you do it. Congratulations on producing such elegant models and on the success you have had with them.

Best regards, John Cuthbert.

I used Clear Pro Film(Oracover) for hinging. The original model some 3 years old now, still has the original ones.

I fold the flaps/ailerons, back on themselves, and apply the film as normal, to the inner faces. Trim off excess level with the surfaces. Wet & dry 320 is good for this especially when the surface has been glassed. Then fold back to their working position and apply a strip of film approx 25mm wide centred over the hinge point.
Iron down onto the wing first then onto the aileron/flap surface, with the moving part held against the inside face.

In the case of the aileron which is top hinged, hold it down position. Do not use to much heat, as the film will shrink to far so as to stop full movement being attained. The flaps are bottom hinged, so reverse is the case.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:02 pm 

See this link to 2 flyers in Norway, who are/have built the model using a short kit from Greg Potter in Australia. The one shown in the video on page 3, has a film wing covering rather than all sheet as om my versions

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... tkit-build

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:28 pm 

My friend sends his regards Brian, he says he's very satisfied with the flying characteristics. It just glides and glides and glides, as he says in video nr three. He owns a 2,2kg Samba Pike Perfection F5J which is nice for the prevailing windy weather type we have in the South of Norway. But now with the Watt's New he has a nice F5J competition model that fills in the calm weather gap for him. And for maybe just a third of the cost of a composite model.

Attachments:
Watts New Norway.JPG
Watts New Norway.JPG [ 7.25 KB | Viewed 378 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 pm 

Video of the guy in Norway flying his version and throwing it about more than I have. Have to look a bit hard to see it !!!

https://youtu.be/FW4TcEl63So

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:34 am 

As little is happening here in the UK, Kristian in Norway, sent this report on his maiden flights of his Watts New. This version has wooden fuselage as was my one, whereas the previous post on this site shows his friend Raymonds version with fibre glass fuselage. Both these versions use the tailplane mounted on a pylon as used on other models, with the servo's under the wing.

She flew this morning! Had to go to work afterwards, so am writing this now in the evening. I'm still overwhelmed by how well she flew in that gusty wind from the northwest today, just exceeding my expectations totally! There was about 4-6m/s of wind speed today, with some moments of still air. Sunny and nice. I actually amost canceled maiden due to the wind but am now glad that I didn't.

I started with handtossing the model two times. After first flight I saw that she needed a couple of trimpoints down for elevator. She glided so far on those handtosses! After that I had to take a coffee brake and just collect myself before the proper maiden with motor running. I just sat there in the sun, getting a feel for the wind and the weather. Then I went for it, on half throttle for the first climb. She climbed out satisfyingly well without needing to adjust the pitch, and my fear of any sudden down pitch from the motor was gone. About one nervous minute passed where I was on edge in case of any unexpected flying characteristics. Then I just had to smile! She was so gentle in the air, but fast! Really good air penetration in cruise and speed mode. Like, really good qualitys there. Even in thermal mode she was able to penetrate that gusty wind! Due to a hill close by to the northwest there had formed a huge wave of wind or lift directly in between my flying field and that hillside. I flew right into it and up she went! I must have had around 200 meters of height, before hitting the brakes and forcing her slowly down again, which I had to, as that wave lift was so powerful today. Just a spectacular maiden, I can't believe how well it all went.

I was able to circle tight and flat, and felt that the rudder is responsive. She is agile!

I'll get some flight videos of my Watt's New tomorrow. Here's a picture of me and the model from this morning, just after maiden flight.

Thank you so much Brian for the support and kind words. It's been a unique privilege to have a direct contact with you throughout this Watt's New-build. I hope you'll be allowed to get out and fly you own Watt's New soon.

Video below

https://youtu.be/MRXH4p1TVbE

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8