eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you repair it, yes you can
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 pm 

After enquiring as the cost of a new port wing panel on a Pike Perfection, the 630 Euro's cost led me to having a go at repairing the damage myself. Neve tackled a moulded wing before. Although not perfect, it amount to big saving and is flyable again The paint was from a car factor and he would have matched if I had left him the wing, but was not keen on doing that.
some pictures of before and after, plus first flight log after repair.

Attachments:
Perfection First Flight after Repair.jpg
Perfection First Flight after Repair.jpg [ 114.83 KB | Viewed 991 times ]
Pike Damage 3.jpg
Pike Damage 3.jpg [ 31.84 KB | Viewed 989 times ]
Pike Damage 2.jpg
Pike Damage 2.jpg [ 4.05 KB | Viewed 992 times ]
Pike Damage 1.jpg
Pike Damage 1.jpg [ 7.31 KB | Viewed 990 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Can you repair it, yes you can
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:32 pm 

Nice repair Brian and timely as I, my own fault, flew too far away at Buckminster on Monday with my Q12 got completely disorientated and piled her in nose first. Pod is a right off and right wing creased. You've given me some motivation seeing your original break, far worse than my few creases. Doesn't seem so daunting now.

Tony

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 am 

tctele wrote:

Nice repair Brian and timely as I, my own fault, flew too far away at Buckminster on Monday with my Q12 got completely disorientated and piled her in nose first. Pod is a right off and right wing creased. You've given me some motivation seeing your original break, far worse than my few creases. Doesn't seem so daunting now.

Tony

I had two creases on the inboard part of wing as well as the damage in pictures. The time honoured way is to prick along the grease line and drop cyno into the holes. I did not have success with this way, so ran sharp pointed needle file along the crease, so as to indent the surface, then applied the cyno along the crease line.This worked fine and hardened up the surface, but you need to beare in mind that the skin on a Pike is different to a Q12, as I have one of those as well. Foam friendly cyno will probably be needed.

I then filled the creases, then sprayed over them with primer and final colour finish. Q12 being clear will be a bit difficult to hide.

Some pictures of the creases on my one before and after.

Brian

Attachments:
DSCN0603-002.JPG
DSCN0603-002.JPG [ 252.32 KB | Viewed 873 times ]
DSCN0598-002.JPG
DSCN0598-002.JPG [ 164.31 KB | Viewed 874 times ]
DSCN0599-002.JPG
DSCN0599-002.JPG [ 168.8 KB | Viewed 874 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am 

Nicely done. I have lots of laminating resin, silica and micro balloons. Foam safe sounds a good idea as it would probably set a lot quicker. Off to the model shop to get some then a test run on a minor crease.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:58 pm 

Depending on the severity of your q12 creases, it may be worth trying the steam solution.

Using something like a covering iron and some wetted kitchen towel, some careful "ironing" should reflate or even remove the foam creases.
With small dings,the foam material may even return to original shape.
If not, resin filled with micro-ballots can be used as a filler/strengthener. Clear film* stretched taut over the area after application can help toward a smooth surface-
if you have applied too much, excess can be bled of with careful pinholes in the film and a bit of careful massage with the edge of an old credit card.

For more serious issues, injected epoxy resin can help.

*End of roll cigarette packet wrapper is what I use - came from Flighthook years ago.

(Is the Q12 particularly prone to straying....I have one that has disappeared twice)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:14 pm 

Thanks for the tips I suspect it will be a combination of all of them, interestingly the carbon joiner cracked right in the middle but didn't break or distort, because it has a metal rod insert, something I hadn't noticed before and the carbon outer it 4.92 mm so nothing fits as a replacement. Its plenty strong as is I'll soak the crack with cyano. Had to order a new pod, it could be repaired but it'd not look good. Great response from Neil as he's despatched it already and I only ordered it a couple of hours ago. Time to get the saw and iron out to get the pod off the boom.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:04 pm 

tctele wrote:

Thanks for the tips I suspect it will be a combination of all of them, interestingly the carbon joiner cracked right in the middle but didn't break or distort, because it has a metal rod insert, something I hadn't noticed before and the carbon outer it 4.92 mm so nothing fits as a replacement. Its plenty strong as is I'll soak the crack with cyano. Had to order a new pod, it could be repaired but it'd not look good. Great response from Neil as he's despatched it already and I only ordered it a couple of hours ago. Time to get the saw and iron out to get the pod off the boom.

You could use 5mm carbon rod and rub it down in an electric drill using fine emery cloth, although I doubt the original will break under normal flight loads.
I still have a Q12 that has not escaped the garage for a couple of years, nice model.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:21 pm 

You should give it a bit of fresh air Brian it's a lovely model as you well know, pity as I'd just got mine finally trimmed how I wanted it. My plan was, is, to get a few comps under my belt while I wait for my F5J model to be made in Russia. Hopefully should have it in the next couple of months. With a bit of luck I should have the Q12 back on her feet at the end of next week I'll post a couple of pics of the damage tomorrow. I'll pop across to the Nats on Sat and Mon to spectate.

Profile Email