eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 2:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What Glider
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:38 pm 

Hi All,
I have flown RC models for a fair few years (mainly power some gliders), I have had some thermal soarer in the past. I am looking to have a go at some modern elecrtic powered gliding, having had some fun with my Radian Pro with two flights of over an hour, the problem is which one to go for.
I was thinking about a 2m model that could also be used for competion should I get the opertunity to get to one near me.
I would like to hear your suggestions, I already have a couple of model in mind but I think it is always good to hear the thought of those who have more recent experiance.
Thank you for your time.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What Glider
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:04 pm 

Welcome Sink Finder,

Many selections out there and will probably depend a bit on how much you want to spend at the end of the day!

If thinking about competitions do think about the class you want to enter. From your post it looks like 2M so do keep that in mind. There are some lovely models around which are just over the 2M size but could maybe ‘suffer’ against ‘full-on’ models in the 4M class.

The Radian Pro is perfectly capable of being competitive in the 2M competitions, and I’m think I’m correct in saying that one won the 2M national this year.

Personally I am currently flying a bit of a Hybrid in the 2M class with a Home Built Fuselage and tailplane with the wing from the Meteor from Top Models – (felt the original fuselage of the Meteor was too heavy). However I have been happy with the models and service from Top Models (shipping has been no issue). A recent addition to their range is the Pegasus 2M which if I were in the market I would be considering, also do a ‘V’ tail version now.

http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&desktop_back=eshop&action_back=&id_back=&desktop=eshop&action=zbozi_detail&id=10642

I know Martin Bell has enjoyed flying his Reichard MAGIC 2.0m in 2013.

Or have a look at some of the Fully Moulded models on offer

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?cat=Electric+RC+Gliders&subcat=Up+to+2m+Electrics

Just a few ideas but there are many other choices out there.

Guy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 pm 

Thanks Guy.
Yes I was thinking 2m class, for a couple of reasons: cost being the main one and secondly I think it would be an easier class to fly in.
I do have a span restiction at my local club to 3.5m but I don't think it would be a big problem at my level as I don't think I would notic the difference in preformance.
The postal comp's sound interesting as there are not a lot of comp's on the calindar in my area.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 pm 

What do you consider to be the ideal wing loading?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 pm 

Sink Finder wrote:

What do you consider to be the ideal wing loading?

I don't think you will ever find an 'ideal' wing loading, at least I have never found it Confused

I am sure others will have different ideas but for a 2mtr model, I think a wing loading of about 5 to 6 oz.sq.ft would be good for light winds and 7 to 8oz.sq.ft for windier conditions.

Hope that helps.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 pm 

Thanks Mitch,
I know that it is hard for a model to do everything but I was thinking of a model at the lower end and then using balast for winfy conditions, the main problem with a 2M model apears to be space to put it so it is secure.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 am 

What is the advantage of "V" tails other than keeping the tail out of the grass?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:18 pm 

Sink Finder wrote:

What is the advantage of "V" tails other than keeping the tail out of the grass?

I think the only advantage is a reduction of 'interference' drag. The drag caused at a juction of the the flying surface where it joins the fus. or tail fin. It is only a small advantage, and only really works when flying in a more or less straight line.

V-tails were very popular on fully moulded models because it enabled them to make the rear end of a model much lighter
than other configs.without loosing any strength.

Not so much now that it is possible to make strong tailplanes much lighter than fully moulded ones, and there is no weight advantage.

V-tails need carefull setting up with differential to avoid elevater/rudder conflicts, and I never found any flight advantage.

Most likely others will dissagree, but I do like the look of them Very Happy

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:52 pm 

Thanks Mitch-Air.
I still to work out what glider I am going to go for, most of the ones I have looked have a higher wing loading than you recommended.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:41 am 

Well I thought there may be a few more pilots chiming in with their ideas of good gliders for a new pilot but it seems that either there are not that many options that are good or they have already been mentioned.
Having looked around and with my little experience and using the base info that has been given, I think I will go with Guy's suggestion of the Pegasus from Top Models; it is affordable if a little light for windy conditions, so may have to look at putting some sort of weight tube into it. for those less than perfect summer days we sometimes get.
Any suggested mods would be welcome.

Profile Email