eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings Earthlings
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:26 pm 

Very Happy

Well, it sure feels like that!

Hi people, quick intro, new to the forum and gliding. I used to fly control line many moons ago, when I was 12, TV was black & white and a tanner was pocket money rather than an historic trade Smile

Some years later but still in the Dark Ages, I moved on to RC ic and used Fleet gear, oily 2 strokes and Junior 60s. Having been away from the hobby for around 30 years, I have come back to what seems like a different planet! Glow motors are too noisy, rubber band power models are rare and electric is not only reliable but V popular Rolling Eyes

And as for the radio gear well, 2.4 used to be the average number of kids you had. Shocked

So, hoping to learn quickly, could do with some pointers for terminology and jargon, and itching to get building again!

Nice to meet you,

Myk

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Greetings Earthlings
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:46 pm 

Hi Myk
Welcome to the soaring group
Don't be afraid to ask any questions ,we all started knowing nothing and some like me are still trying to understand it all, we all love to demonstrate our knowledge (or lack of it) so please ask away

If you feel you would like to build a good soaring plane then look no further than Brians Watts up
Let us know what part of the country you are in and maybe some one will be able to fly with you ,if you wish
Cheers Bruce

Post subject: Re: Greetings Earthlings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:03 am 

Hi Bruce, thanks for the welcome. I am in Peterborough, have made initial contact with a local club which I will follow-up post Christmas. If memory serves me right then this is the quiet season, building, tweaking and watching the weather!

Do you have a sticky on this forum for newbies, with terms and basics, or do you know of any on BMFA or other sites? If you want the hobby to grow and persuade kids away from PS4 etc, then you should try to make it easier for them to understand? I know that 'those of a certain age' (myself included) promote physically meeting people and doing that ancient art form of actual face-to-face communication, but for any youngsters out there the typed word and moving pictures is king Rolling Eyes

Not so bad for me, past experience and being brash enough to go out and grab some info but.... well, you know what I mean.

Anyhow, ta again for the welcome, time for a kip, I got a range check to do tomorrow, weather permitting!

Cheers, Myk.
Very Happy

Profile Email