eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 1:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:15 pm 

Hi everyone.
Just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully gain some much needed information and advice.

I've been involved with RC and general boys toys for most of my life, but haven't had the opportunity to fulfil my main desire, which it's to fly gliders. I do occasionally get to fly one at my club, but you should see the looks!!!! Due to my location in north west Essex, slope soaring on any regular basis is out, which is a shame, F3B looks expensive and scary, so e-soaring coupled with my need to be part of a competition scene looks to be my preferred option and I really hope to be able to join you next season.

I picked up an uncovered Top model Astra at the power nationals, I've ordered all the parts I need and I'm now ready to get it down to the required 2m span. Now here are all the questions, sorry!!

Does the 2m span take account of dihedral / polyhedral? ie. Do you let the measuring tape sag between the tips or is it measured pulled tight? I'd hate to be pulled up on being over spanned!

I notice that all the competitions in the east are F5J and not e-soaring. Is the difference just the launch limitations? ie. Will my 2m glider with an Altis V4 AMRT allow me to fly in F5J and e-soaring (including the postal league) ? This is running before I can walk, I know!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to get to your next and last competition and I'm sure that's not the place for me to be bothering you all anyway. Does anyone meet up and fly in the East? I'd really like to come and watch, ask more silly questions and meet up with some of you if that's OK

That's all for now
Many thanks

Simon

Post subject: Re: New member
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:00 pm 

Hi Simon
Welcome to this forum.
Sounds like you are starting out the right way Smile

You are only half an hours drive from Rettendon nr Chelmsford. This is the home of the 'Bartletts League' a very active electric thermal soaring competition league run to rules similar to eSoaring.
During the 'flying season' we run at least one competition every month, some months there are more.
These events are open to all provided, you have BMFA membership/insurance, and usually have an entry of 25+ pilots. They are very relaxed events, and an ideal place to gain knowledge.

There will be a competition, the last of this years league, run there in a couple of weeks time so look on here and other forums for info. as to when it is announced.

This coming weekend there will be the Eastern league F5J final event at the same site and you will be most welcome to come, watch ask and maybe even get involved timing for some one.

Full details here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2978

Hope to see you there
Pete

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:16 pm 

Thanks for all that Pete. Unfortunately, I can't make the 27th, but I'll keep an eye out for the Bartletts league event and hopefully see you there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 pm 

Hi Simon
Welcome to the esoaring group Very Happy
As a general rule of thumb I believe the span is taken just tip to tip with no sag in the tape and the atis will cover all comps .Postal, F5j and esoaring you just have to change the sttings to fit the comp of your choice rules an easy task using the Altis flight manager
Cheers Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:49 pm 

Thanks Bruce, that's a great help. I haven't got hold of the Altis yet, but I'm reading the manual right now funnily enough. Hopefully I'll get my head round it, but I might be back for set up help for the two classes

Simon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:21 pm 

Last Bartletts of 2015 on the 4th October, Simon

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:41 pm 

Thanks Brian. It's in the diary. See you on the day no doubt.?