eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 2:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi from Sussex
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:11 am 

Just wanted to say hello to everyone on the forum and thank you for letting me join.

Am becoming obsessed with gliding and the complexity and competitive options in this sport.

I have been flying RC for some time now, but my gliding experience is limited. I had a radian pro, but that got damaged in a car accident, then went too far and bought a 2nd hand hotliner. Many issues with that, predominantly my lack of experience and capability. Thats now been banned to the loft until I improve considerably, but have now purchased a Mystique RES to play with and improve my ability to thermal and stay up.

Really looking forward to following the site and learning from you. Hope to be able to meet up and get some tips.

Thanks again and I hope to be an active member of the forum.

Eamon

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hi from Sussex
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:39 pm 

Hi Eamon

Welcome to the forum, also from sunny Sussex, not sure where you are based but there is a very good Glider club that meet on the hills around and also has a flat field near Hassocks

check them out here

http://slopesoaringsussex.blogspot.co.uk/

forum is always a bit quiet this time of year but if you have any questions or need any help just post away someone will see it and come back to you

Cheers

Bernie Twisted Evil

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:18 pm 

Bernie wrote:

Hi Eamon

Welcome to the forum, also from sunny Sussex, not sure where you are based but there is a very good Glider club that meet on the hills around and also has a flat field near Hassocks

check them out here

http://slopesoaringsussex.blogspot.co.uk/

forum is always a bit quiet this time of year but if you have any questions or need any help just post away someone will see it and come back to you

Cheers

Bernie Twisted Evil

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for your welcome.

I am based near Chichester, in West Sussex, am a member of CADMAC and we have a sister club in the Meon valley. Have a few slope sites at Goodwood and around southern Hampshire, but really want to get involved in open F5J if possible and esoaring comps.

I find the competition really interesting and the skill needed is extreme. Have been looking for some time for something to give me a goal in my rc flying and gliders seem to have done that.

Will look forward to getting involved and will want to come along to competitions or meets as early as I can to see it in practice.

Wrong time of year I know, but am looking forward to learning.

Thank you again

Eamon

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:44 am 

Welcome Eamon
As Bernie said keep your eye on this forum and ask as many questions as you need
Just remember we all started thermal soaring with no knowledge
My initial advice would be to spend a lot of time to get the model trim correct and then just practice
Hope you get lots of pleasure from thermal soaring
Cheers Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:59 am 

Bruce wrote:

Welcome Eamon
As Bernie said keep your eye on this forum and ask as many questions as you need
Just remember we all started thermal soaring with no knowledge
My initial advice would be to spend a lot of time to get the model trim correct and then just practice
Hope you get lots of pleasure from thermal soaring
Cheers Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for this and for the welcome.

I have looked in detail at the video tutorials from Radio Carbon Art, which I hope will help me set up my models well. I have purchase loads of measurement kit :-) to assist and cant wait to get out and see wha effect the different settings have.

I look forward to engaging and learning from you all.

Thank you again for your support.

Eamon

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:01 pm 

Seen your query concerning Altis v4 and v4+ elsewhere.

Bernie above, is actually a UK agent for Altis devices. My own involvement is that I evaluate altimeter devices for FAI approval.

To answer your question concerning the difference, v4+ is the later version with a revised pressure sensor and a clearer display. From a flying point of view either are satisfactory and do exactly the same.

If buying second hand you should ensure that on the v4 the leads are undamaged where they are soldered to the device. The v4+ has some additional heatshrink to reduce strain on the solderd joints.

I have not looked for the ebay advertisment you mention, but if you buy from Bernie you will of course get after sales support.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:36 pm 

Paul Newell wrote:

Seen your query concerning Altis v4 and v4+ elsewhere.

Bernie above, is actually a UK agent for Altis devices. My own involvement is that I evaluate altimeter devices for FAI approval.

To answer your question concerning the difference, v4+ is the later version with a revised pressure sensor and a clearer display. From a flying point of view either are satisfactory and do exactly the same.

If buying second hand you should ensure that on the v4 the leads are undamaged where they are soldered to the device. The v4+ has some additional heatshrink to reduce strain on the solderd joints.

I have not looked for the ebay advertisment you mention, but if you buy from Bernie you will of course get after sales support.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I am looking to purchase the V4+ as a Xmas idea for a family member. Will pass them Bruce's details, so they can purchase from him.

Really grateful for your assistance.

Regards

Eamon

Profile Email