eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2m REF e-launch glider
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:45 pm 

Pod / boom and tailplane mount are CLM - https://www.clm-pro.com/store-detail/mo ... 155-detail
These are Pod #120 - £30, boom for same £21 and stab mount £20 which looks like £71 + P & P except VAT has to be added to all that and so you are over £110.
The fin and tailplane are Blaster. So, all the fuz parts slot together quite easily.
The wing is AG35 (root) transitioning to AG37 at the tip. It has full D-box (Balsa not carbon). There is also a taper built in. These were perfectly laser cut (this is the second, so I knew it would be right)
The centre panel has 4mm carbon tubular spars top and bottom. The mid section is 3mm and the tips are 2mm. The joiner is 6mm going into 8mm carbon tube which is bonded to the top and bottom 4mm spars.
It is in reality a rip-off of the CLM Element-2, but then again it is very similar to many other 2m gliders.
Had I just bought the Element-2 it would have cost £608 + P & P and 20% VAT on the top. So with £32 P & P it is £640 + 20% (import VAT) you get to a nice round £768.
With nice servos, motor, esc and bits, you are well north of £850.
The Element-2 uses AG 24 to AG26, but the AG35 to AG37 has a flat bottom – easier build.
My aim was to do a group build of a glider very similar, but at less than half the price. All went well until it became clear no one else would build one.
The cost came in at £380 – in the air.......... But that was every single penny spent on it (lessRx). To be comparable, it had to also be built, to a good standard.
The wings are 288g (2 piece so heavier) and the fuz is 318g – giving a flying weight of 606g. Which is perhaps a bit light for the windy North West.
The wings are covered in Profilm, except the tips, which are the “lite” version.
As always, everything is HV and so eliminates any BEC problems.
The 2216 motor has no problems reaching 200m in 30sec. The 29.5mm spinner on the front of a 28mm outrunner was fun.
The first flew great and so I built a second, also great. They were built to try to get others locally to fly nice gliders. It was an abject failure. I also have Facebook page Gliding North West an equal failure. I guess I will never learn.
So here we are removing some surplus. How does £250 sound ? (complete less RX)

Attachments:
Sis2.JPG
Sis2.JPG [ 261.78 KB | Viewed 116 times ]
Sist1.JPG
Sist1.JPG [ 289.91 KB | Viewed 116 times ]

Profile Email