eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RESULTS & PICTURES - 1st Southern League event 19th April
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:50 am 

Unlike a lot of people who post comments on this Forum, I believe in giving everything a go to see how it pans out, so that is why I entered this comp as a comparison to rules that are being run in 200 Watt events.

What was surprising to see, was the protests as to the height that one model was achieving from launch using a HL. These were subsequently proved to be unfounded, when the limiter was checked. Just goes to prove that peoples judgement as to how high models get in the climb stage can be mistaken. These protests came from very experienced flyer's as well Shocked

Another point is that it is not always a simple task to access the limiter in some models for checking, due to the Rx being buried away. I have the same model as was being queried and know how difficult is get to the Rx easily.
I personally do not carry a laptop arround with me to alter one, so would assume that a check at the start & end of the comp, of the model in question, would suffice.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: RESULTS & PICTURES - 1st Southern League event 19th April
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:57 am 

Brian Austin wrote:

What was surprising to see, was the protests as to the height that one model was achieving from launch using a HL. These were subsequently proved to be unfounded, when the limiter was checked. Just goes to prove that peoples judgement as to how high models get in the climb stage can be mistaken. These protests came from very experienced flyer's as well Shocked

Yes indeed. It can be difficult to judge at times, particularly with different wingspan models being launched at the same time. I flew my 1.5m Blaster E in the last round of this comp, having stripped the rudder servo gear on my 3.7m AVA in the previous round and could have sworn that it was climbing far higher than the AVA. This was probably exacerbated by the fact that I had also launched into strong lift and the model was very soon at 260m height (see below).
Attachment:
Martin R6 Blaster E.jpg

On at least 4 other occasions that I spotted, when models appeared to be climbing higher, they had in fact launched into very strong lift and within a few seconds were noticeably higher than other models launched around the same time. (see below)
Attachment:
Kevin Beale Round 3.jpg

There were 2 occasions during the day when pilots forgot to manually switch their motors off after they cut automatically, but this was not spotted at the time and I only picked this up when looking at all the logs I downloaded and were emailed to me after the contest.
Brian Austin wrote:

Another point is that it is not always a simple task to access the limiter in some models for checking, due to the Rx being buried away. I have the same model as was being queried and know how difficult is get to the Rx easily.

Agreed - but this is covered in the rules under 7.12.4(b) - "To facilitate processing, all limiting switches must be easily removable and/or easily accessible for checking and log downloads." I did in fact check and download a couple of logs with the logger in situ. However, if this is difficult it is possible either to use a servo extension lead to enable the logger to be placed in an easily accessible position or to use a 4 pin extension cable from the serial output port on the logger to enable remote access to the port. I can make up any length cable with the required 4 pin plug on one end and 4 pin socket on the other end for anybody who asks - or I can supply the component parts for anyone who wants to make up their own lead.
Brian Austin wrote:

I personally do not carry a laptop around with me to alter one, so would assume that a check at the start & end of the comp, of the model in question, would suffice.

I have to admit that at this first comp, when I had to deal with a number of problems with the sound system and upgrade a few of the older Height Limiting switches before the comp, I only managed to check 10 of the limiter setting prior to the comp. and I didn't get to download all the logs after the comp. The facility is always available for anyone at any time during the comp to ask for a log to be downloaded (their own or any other pilots) and I hope that this option will be used in future by anyone who is in any way concerned about what may appear to be excessive initial launch heights. The responsibility for ensuring that the altimeter switch is correctly set and working correctly is always with the pilot, but they always have the option of getting it checked by the CD at any time.
The log below is fairly typical of what we can expect any deviations from the norm are easy to pick up.
Roll on Sunday at Pillerton Hersey - !!!!
Attachment:
Keith Fisher.jpg

Profile Email