eSoaring.net

The place to discuss eSoaring height limited competitions, models, and tactics
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Height Limited Rule Change
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:56 pm 

I know the main interest on this forum is BMFA eSoaring and F5J, but I thought the results of a revision made to the launch height rules in the Bartletts League worth sharing here.
When eSoaring rules were first formulated, the launch height rule allowed a 10% margin over the aimed for 200mtrs. If I remember correctly, this was to ensure that any one going into lift as the motor cut would not be penalised. At the time it was the best we could expect with the equipment then available, and it could/can only be checked after a download on to a pc.

As this system was used in both eSoaring and Bartletts, in my experience I found that this rule is/was open to a fair bit of individual interpretation. Simply put,a model can be set to launch higher than 200mtrs and not exceed the 10 %margin. Extra height gained over 200mtrs results in a longer flight time without finding thermal assistance, and with today’s high efficiency models this can easily be an extra minute or so.

Many have thought this unfair and Bartletts rules have been revised. They now require that the height limiter used must be readable after each flight, and it must retain the data for any checking purpose until its next flight. The F5J function is used so that the maximum height reached during the motor run time plus 10seconds is recorded and the number shown is used in the scoring programme.

The limiter function is still used and can be set to any height up to a maximum of 200mtrs. There is no benefit or advantage in launching below 200mtrs but there is a penalty of 3points per metre above 200mtrs. Older type limiters which are unable to be read are still permitted within the rules, but they are penalised.

Attached is the first competition launch height data which makes interesting reading.

Last edited by Mitch-air on Mon May 23, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Height Limited Rule Change
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:47 pm 

Video from Little Bentley last weekend shot by Paul Cavendar

https://youtu.be/z8hoznCSIPI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 am 

I think this is a really good rule change.
Probably too late now to incorporate into BMFA esoaring league, but maybe some thought should be given for next year?

Mike

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:32 am 

I agree,brilliant idea,will make a already good comp even better.Lets get it introduced asap.Dave.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:58 pm 

I forgot to mention the other problem this solves.

Shock horror but there have been instances in the past where it has been suspected that some one has used their motor to save a flight Shocked Exclamation .

Impossible to confirm one way or the other without the use of a down load to a pc followed, or maybe preceded by the inevitable argument.

There is no height figure stored if the motor is restarted and that results in a zero score for that slot.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:35 am 

There was some concern when these new rules were first put forward, but there can be little doubt that they are absolutely fair as all flights are checked out at the time, with little loss of time.

An interesting side is that most flyers now set there limiter switches for a lower height than 200 metres, so as to avoid exceeding 200 metres and invoke the 3 second penalty per metre.

Profile Email