It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PROGLIDE - Home Built Composite F5J 3.8m Glider - Update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:17 am 

Attachment:
IMGP4397_result.JPG
IMGP4397_result.JPG [ 22.24 KB | Viewed 1863 times ]
[img][/img]

For those that are interested in lightweight competitive home built and designed F5J models, we have posted an update to our original PROGLIDE article along with a web gallery that shows construction methods etc. You can see the article at the following link:
https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/7019-proglide-home-built-composite-f5j-38m-glider-update/

Kevin Beale/Colin Paddon

Attachments:
P3111741_result.JPG
P3111741_result.JPG [ 79.95 KB | Viewed 1727 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: PROGLIDE - Home Built Composite F5J 3.8m Glider - Update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:07 pm 

A very interesting development/build log, an amazing job.....

Well done guys, nice photo - looking really good - the gliders I mean!

Respect

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 pm 

Cliff H wrote:

A very interesting development/build log, an amazing job.....

Well done guys, nice photo - looking really good - the gliders I mean!

Respect

Hi Cliff

Thanks. As soon as you said "looking really good" I just knew it wasnt the two old blokes holding the planes. Laughing About time we saw you flying at an F5J comp again young man!

Cheers
Colin & Kevin

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 pm 

Yes !
those two planes are looking the part.
Well done Colin and Kevin.
Our weights are greater than yours (being aimed at less friendly conditions possibly) but from the sight I had of Colin's model at the Nats last year I think that our wing area is greater.

What is the white foam you are using ? We are still in the pink/blue foam zone, and plucking up the courage to risk buying Carboline
I suppose that Phil and I better get a move on with Buzrd 3. It is slowly coming to the fore.
First prototype of Mk 3 is due to fly soon.

Well done again
Ian Coutts

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:29 am 

Ian Coutts wrote:

Yes !
those two planes are looking the part.
Well done Colin and Kevin.
Our weights are greater than yours (being aimed at less friendly conditions possibly) but from the sight I had of Colin's model at the Nats last year I think that our wing area is greater.

What is the white foam you are using ? We are still in the pink/blue foam zone, and plucking up the courage to risk buying Carboline
I suppose that Phil and I better get a move on with Buzrd 3. It is slowly coming to the fore.
First prototype of Mk 3 is due to fly soon.

Well done again
Ian Coutts

Hi Ian

Thanks. Its been a long haul as you know but worth it. We need more people making their own F5J models and it doesnt have to be composite to be competitive either.

The foam we use isnt white foam its actually Light Peach in colour. Its an XPS type foam similar to Blue/Pink foam. It hot wire cuts beautifully. Its slightly less dense than blue foam but not by much. Wickes used to sell it. Its made by a German company called Knauf and it was marketed as Eco Space Board I think. It comes in sheets that are 500 x 1200 x 60mm IIRC. One sheet is enough to do one complete Proglide. It cost about £7 per sheet which is much cheaper than DC blue foam and far easier to get hold of in small quantities.

What airfoil are you ujsing on your Mk3?

Hope to see you guys flying your Mk3 at Interglide. Be good to compare notes.

Cheers

Colin

Profile Email  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm 

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the delay in replying, too many distractions at present.

Our Buzyrd is coming out much heavier than your plane at circa 1800 grams, but it has more area I think. I compared the mk2 with your Proglide at the Nationals last year and I am sure we are carrying a good bit more area.
The bare foam for each wing panel weighs just over 180 grams. Our spar structure is quite strong and covering in 3oz glass cloth probably doesn't help weight reduction compared with carbon.
Our tailplane and fin is probably a bit meaty too; weight can be shed there.
There is a weight saving going to Vladimir's carbon and possibly using the same foam as you are using. My fin and tail plane are made from the last bits of it that Phil found lying about in his workshop.
I have probably over specified the wing to cope with more severe condition than you experience, my idea of a calm day is 7/10mph wind.

You asked about wing section, we are using a German F3B HN section about 9% thick, I will look up the numbers for it. We have used it before, it carries weight well and is highly sensitive to flap adjustments ( sensitive inasmuch as it reacts the way I want it to) it also behaves well when lightly loaded. But as yet 7oz/sq ft is as low as I have gone with it.

Provided that I do not have to do too much work next week I should be ready to test fly mine in about 10 days, and hopefully the changes from the mark 2 will be seen as I fly them back to back.

Profile Email